Preventing Mold During the Summer Months
There are several factors that come into mold starting to form, one of those being warm temperatures. This is why it is important to keep an eye out for mold during the summer months, and even more important to try to prevent it from even having the chance to grow.
Let’s take a look at some ways you can prevent mold in your home or office:
- Use your air conditioner. If you have one, on hot days turn it on. 77 degrees and above is when mold grows the best. Keeping your indoor temperature less than that will help reduce its chance of growing.
- Keep the humidity below 50 percent. Mold loves moisture, so if you have any areas in your home or office that the humidity is above 50 percent, you need to fix that! Purchasing a dehumidifier is a great way. Have it run in the areas of your home or office where the humidity is high. This will help reduce the moisture that is in the air.
- Keep windows closed when it’s raining. Just like we said above, mold loves moisture. Due to this, make sure your windows stay closed when it’s raining. If by chance they are open, clean up any areas where it gets wet.
- Repair roof and leaky pipes. If you have any leaky pipes or if your roof is leaking, have them repaired as soon as possible.
- Use your exhaust fan or window when showering. When the steam from your shower fills the bathroom, it is inviting mold to grow! By having your exhaust fan running or your window opened a crack, you are helping to get the steam out of your bathroom right away.
These are just a few things you can do to prevent mold. Should you find any areas where some is growing, or notice a musty smell in your house or office, address it immediately by contacting Karl Environmental Group.